A Travellerspoint blog

Airport Antics and Flying Fun

Whizzing across the Pacific Ocean!

sunny -48 °C
View Skunky, Nicci and Jo are off to America on Skunky's travel map.

Finally on Thursday there were no more sleeps left - not even one. Oh boy oh boy oh boy was I excited!!
Set to go

Set to go

At the airport there was so much to do. We took our big bags to the check-in counter. Labels were stuck on the bags to show that they needed to be put in the cargo hold of our plane. The Air New Zealand man looked at me sideways and threatened to put me in there too if I made any bad smells on the plane - who me?? What was he thinking?!

Next it was time to go through some security checks. Our small hand luggage bags had to go through a special x-ray machine to check that there was nothing dangerous inside. Nicci was asked to help and she did a great job. Everything and everyone got scanned - have a look at the photos and see if you can recognise any interesting shapes....
Scanning Skunky

Scanning Skunky

Scanning 1

Scanning 1

Just then, we met the pilots of our plane. I thought this was a great opportunity to check that they knew how to make a plane go up, along and down safely. They seemed to know their stuff so we let them go on their way.

Finally we got on board and took off. Have you ever heard of a flying skunk? I wonder if I'm the first... The plane climbed gradually until it was 11 kilometres above the ground (that's about the same distance from school to Hamilton city centre but straight up). We flew high above the clouds at about 950km per hour. We found out that the air temperature outside was -48 degrees Celsius. Brrrrrr. I decided to keep my window shut.

Nicci and I had a great time looking out the window at the land and sea below, watching the flaps on the wings move and watching our little TV. It was pretty squashed on board so I was very careful to keep my special skunky smells to myself. The man behind us didn't keep all his smells to himself though - I thought he needed to go in the cargo hold.

At one stage I went to the cockpit to make sure the pilots were doing a good job. They were, so I stretched out for a bit in First Class - aaah much better!
Giving the pilot a break

Giving the pilot a break

First Class Skunk

First Class Skunk

Finally we arrived in Los Angeles to find that it was Thursday again even though it was Friday in New Zealand - that was so weird! After long lines for security checks we changed planes and flew to Dallas. Texas at last! Uncle Chris picked us up and took us home to meet up with Nicci's cousins for the next part of our adventure. I'll let you know what happens...

Yours in black and white


Posted by Skunky 19:26 Archived in New Zealand Tagged air_travel

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint